Blogging about the Sweetest Things in Life

Reflections on the extraordinary moments of an ordinary Mother.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Plan... for the house

This goal is easy.  One improvement to the house each week.  It can big or small, just as long as it's something.  That should be easy... right?  Is it bad I'm setting the standards fairly low so they are consistently attainable?  Knowing that weeks pass speedy quick these days, one improvement is as realistic as I can be and still feel like I'm moving in a forward direction.  I put "home decorating/improvements" on hold last summer while we went into summer class/vacation/yard improvement mode and here we are in January still treading water.  Keeping up with this goal means I should come out with at least 50-ish improvements of one sort or the other.  I'll take that!

Home Improvement #1 The Family China



I never planned on having China.  My Midwest, middle class family never had China nor did I ever have a desire to own any.  This summer however, we inherited a rather large 8 person set of Noritake Ivory China (I'm a total greenie here, I honestly have no idea what this brand means.).  This set was a gift from my husbands Father to his future wife's Mother, my husbands Maternal Grandmother.   The set is truly beautiful,  understated and with silver accents.  Knowing my Father in law had this sent home to what he hoped would be his Mother in Law in the middle of a war he hoped he would return from, makes it an important part of our family history that deserves to be passed on to future generations.

But having China means having a China cabinet right?   I don't have space, nor the desire for a China hutch, besides it's rare to find a China hutch in a contemporary style that is not so obtrusive as to take over the entire space.  I'm a firm believer that 80% of average American homes are furnished with pieces that are too large for the space, or have too many pieces in a room.  
Here's the chosen corner, sparsely occupied by a tree, a light, the wireless dog perimeter-ma-bob and roomba, not exactly appealing. 





Then I found it, at Bed, Bath, & Beyond of all places.  Not particularly expensive, not overly large and just the style I was looking for!  It is not a China hutch at all, but rather a glass front bookshelf and I couldn't be more happy with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment